I had an axe that broke on me, it was the axe head that "died", the handle was largely still in good condition. Rather than just throwing away the handle, I cut it down in length, carved some grooves on either side for a bit more grip. Once the sanding and lacquering was done, I set to making the lashes. They ended up with a length of about 750mm, with the lash width of approximately 7mm.


"The Red Right Hand"

When I began making this, I was intending on making a number of them as a signature piece. But as I progressed through the construction of it, I realised that it will not be feasible to do this. It is a time intensive project, because of the many curves, there was ALOT of cutting involved and when it came to stitching, I had to reposition it so many times it not funny. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed making it. But for a paddle, it took nearly five times as long to make it than my "normal" paddles do.

I would be more than happy to make another as a special order, but it is not something I will be making as a 'stock item'.